How to Get Your Permiso de Circulación in Chile

Procedures, requirements and all information related to el Permiso de Circulación.

El Permiso de Circulación is a permit including a yearly tax paid by vehicle owners which allows cars, trucks, motorcycles, and other vehicles to legally circulate throughout the streets of the country. If you have an off-road vehicle, you may be exempt.
Renewal for used cars:
  • Previous year’s permiso de circulación
  • Valid technical revision report or standardization and emissions certificate (certificado de homologación, if applicable –new vehicles are exempt from technical revision for a set number of years)
  • Copy of compulsory insurance contract (SOAP), valid during the life of the permit
  • Vehicle ownership documents/Civil Registry registration (padrón)
New Cars:
  • Copy of vehicle ownership documents/Civil Registry Registration
  • Standardization and emissions certificate (certificado de homologación if applicable –new vehicles are exempt from technical revision for a set number of years)
  • Standardization and emissions norms certificate (certificado de normas de homologación)
  • Compulsory insurance contract (SOAP), valid during the life of the permit
  • If a new vehicle is purchased after March 31st, you will only pay for the remaining months as opposed to the full year’s permit cost.

Vehicles you will not be driving during the year:

  • You must still pay a municipal fee and indicate the motive in a signed, notarized document which expires every 30th of November.
See here if you have any outstanding fines, tickets, previous circulation permits (including those from previous owners!), etc. before renewing your driving permit. If so, they must be paid before attaining a new permit. Unpaid balances can be paid at the municipality where the fine was issued or directly with authorized centers administering the permisos de circulación.

Read More /Seguir Leyendo »

**These are from a series we contributed to the Chile Pages

sharing is caring...Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook4Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Share on StumbleUpon0Share on LinkedIn0Share on Reddit0Buffer this page


  • Hi, guys! I love your blog. I think it’s great that now you’re providing, let’s say “asesoría cultural” to other gringos living in Chile. It’s a real struggle moving to a new country not knowing how those “legal” things work. Have you thought about writing an article about how to get a working visa? I know there’s plenty of information out there but your articles are so easy to read it be useful to a lot of gringos 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge